Page 9 of 15
7. Laugh, I Nearly Died, “Bloody Mary”
This probably skirts the rules of classic rock since it was a new Rolling Stones song at the time, but I guess the fact it’s from a classic rock band is good enough. Besides, it’s ICONIC. The slow drive by of the impala during a very fitting part of this song, right when Sam sees Jess in white on the street corner, signaling to us that something is very wrong with Sam, still gives me chills. Chills!
Back in Black - AC/DC, Dean fixed the Impala and the brothers were on the road again. Just awesomeness (s2e3)
Long, Long Way From Home - Foreigner (s4E13)
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf. Dean's Baby Impala makes a splashing comeback the way she deserves even though they should have played the whole song. (S7e23)
Honorable mention: O' Death - Jen Titus (s5e21) Not much of a rock but the introduction of Death is plain EPIC.
* Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man, 5.03 Free To Be You and Me - great editing back and forth between the brothers, with Dean hunting and Sam trying to live a life outside hunting.
* CCR's Bad Moon Rising in 2.01 In My Time of Dying
* Boston's Don't Look Back in 2.22 AHBL Part 2
* Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive in 3.16 No Rest for the Wicked - can't believe I included a Bon Jovi song on this but, as Dean says, Bon Jovi rocks... sometimes.
* The Kinks - A Well Respected Man in 4.17 It's a Terrible Life - every time I hear this, I think of this episode.
* Bob Seger - Beautiful Loser 6.01 Exile on Main St. - great montage about Dean's trying to live a "normal" life without Sam.
* Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle 6.12 Like a Virgin
* The Rolling Stones - Play with Fire - 6.22 The Man Who Knew Too Much
* Styx - Man in the Wilderness - 8.01 We Need to Talk About Kevin - great way to lead off Dean's Purgatory arc.
* Ella Fitzgerald - Get Thee Behind Me Satan - 8.13 Everybody Hates Hitler - I know, I know, not classic rock but so appropriate for the episode and Sam in particular.
* Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home - 9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles? - A song about a lost soul, second time they've used this but very appropriate for this one.
My favorite use of Knockin on Heaven's Door has to be HOTH. Sam sitting there drowning in evil, wanting so badly to believe that someone or something was going to save him....just guh!
Silent Lucidity.....th at episode that sealed the deal for me forever. That song, that scene, the heartbreak of both brothers, the fear and sadness on Dean's face and the ugly crying that was so real from Sam. What no emmy's?
Night Shifter....just about the most perfect 42min of television. That song went up to a ten for me.
I could add a few more but everyone probably already has them on their list. Were there any misses using music on this show? I can't think of any.
Blondie - "One Way or Another"
"Adventures in Babysitting"
Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy
"The Slice Girls"
AC/DC - "You Shook Me All Night Long"
"The Born-Again Identity"
The Yardbirds - "Turn into Earth"
I'm SO happy! We get our show back tonight! Mmmmmmm.... Well, ok, technically tomorrow. But I'm happy, happy, joy, joy! (Thanks for letting me share.)